FEBRUARY 28 IS THE DEADLINE – for individuals, small businesses, and private non-profit organizations in Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, and Union counties to apply for physical property damage loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO APPLY:
- Apply online at https://disasterloan.sba.gov./ela
- For information about the disaster loan process, or to have an application
mailed to you, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-659-2955
(800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing).
- Or by visiting a Disaster Recovery Center. A list of DRCs can be found
Nearly 130,000 individuals (homeowners, property owners, and renters) have registered with FEMA for assistance and have received an SBA disaster loan application, but only 15,300 applications have been returned so far.
Individuals who have delayed in registering with FEMA may not be getting access to the federal disaster assistance programs they need or are eligible for. Furthermore, while 35,700 businesses have also registered with FEMA for assistance and have received an SBA disaster loan application, fewer than 2,500 applications have been received so far. Business owners, homeowners, renters, and property owners who have declined to submit an SBA disaster loan application for business or home repairs, or property replacement, may limit their ability to ultimately obtain grants and other assistance that may become available.
It is crucial that individuals register with FEMA and that businesses and individuals complete the SBA loan application so State officials can compile an accurate, comprehensive picture of the damage and the need for additional disaster recovery assistance.
- Moreover, for businesses, an SBA Disaster Loan represents the best opportunity for disaster assistance. While there are other programs that will provide assistance, those programs may be less comprehensive and more limited than what SBA Loans offer.
- In addition, programs that may be available in the future will most likely be tied to the SBA Disaster Loan application. This is why it is crucial for homeowners, renters, and businesses to take advantage of the SBA Disaster Loan Program.